Finding the Hard Answers to Earth’s Greatest Mystery within a Scientific Paradigm
Author : Warren Aston ©
This paper addresses the symposium theme by drawing together all facets of UFOlogy and alien contact in an attempt to make some sense from both commonsense and scientific viewpoints. After presenting an overview of the phenomenon, its history and a discussion of the cosmology of alien contact, I will then argue that the data to date indicates that genuine UFO activity originates from both extra-terrestrial and inter-dimensional sources. From this viewpoint I review nine different areas of alien activity on earth, show how much alien activity from both sources is camouflaged, the military cover-up and indications of events in our near future and their implications to the human race.
First let me share a personal note. After more than twenty years as a serious student in this field I have now reached the point where I believe strongly that the UFO’s have been with us long enough and that several aspects of the phenomenon itself have progressed to the point that we should be starting to make some sense of things should be clear now. I came into the field with no preconceptions other than an awareness that something was going on which orthodox science could not adequately explain. Over the years since I have preferred to remain independent of the various groups and organisations so that I am free to pursue answers in whatever direction that leads.
All of the major conclusions presented in this paper have been reinforced by my research over the last three years into a daylight landing that took place in Montana in 1940. When the full account is released I believe it will prove one of the most significant and revealing cases ever recorded. I make no claims to having all of the answers and I don’t know anyone foolish enough to claim that they do, but I believe we have enough data from the past five decades in particular to make a start. The methodology of science must be followed if we are to measure the UFO phenomenon. Data must be collected systematically, correlated, evaluated and probed before we can expect to find answers.
Are UFO’s real? Are we chasing phantoms? Anyone sho is in any doubt whatsoever about the reality of the phenomenon is simply not acquainted with the evidence about what is going on. The evidence that something is happening which defies conventional science is abundant, unambiguous, and is readily available in every category imaginable. UFO’s are a long-term, world-wide, multi-cultural reality with much more physical evidence available than most of us realise. The mounting evidence that UFO’s and aliens are real and are part of the future for all of us deserves our most serious attention and best efforts to understand it.
Before I review the phenomenon and what I believe this evidence is telling us, I want to briefly outline some of the reasons why answers elude us and have bedevilled and hindered UFO research up to the present.
In my view, there have been two major obstacles to finding out the truth about what UFO’s actually represent. The first obstacle I call “The Search for the Single Answer” – the belief that there is an ultimate answer somewhere explaining UFO’s; that they will prove to be either psychic apparitions or alien space craft or mental delusions, Doug and Dave’s homemade hot-air balloons or perhaps some natural activity that we don’t understand.
By assuming that any one of these causes must account for all genuine UFO activity we are forced to ignore much of the data and to arbitrarily select what we will accept and use. When researchers or groups label each other “nuts and bolts” or “psychic” for example, we make an unwarranted and dangerous assumption by implying that UFO’s can only be one or the other. In fact the evidence to date unmistakably indicates the UFO’s do have more than one origin.
The illusion of the ‘Single Answer’ has held back the research of some of the brightest minds in UFOlogy. But like the human mind, our world, and the universe itself, the UFO phenomenon is marvellously complex and is multi-faceted, not simple at all.
In addition, we have too often not realised the necessity of observing UFO’s as the global activity that it is. A report made by a Mongolian goat-herder or a Kalahari bushman is as valid as one made by a New York businessman – any search for patterns in the data will be misleading if we restrict ourselves to sightings in the Western world. As another example, our understanding of the well-known ‘Mystery Airship’ activity over the US in the late 1890’s changes dramatically when we dig a little further into the records and discover that identical craft were also seen in [laces as far afield as the UK and New Zealand around the same period. Dismissing the airships as ‘man-made’ clearly does not fit the facts. Many of us have been too parochial in our outlook.
Many of us have made too many assumptions and been too hasty in arriving at conclusions. To quote from one recent example, one author has made the claim that disc-shaped UFO’s are no longer seen, only triangular and rectangular craft. At best that may be true in the authors immediate area, but it is certainly not true worldwide.
Many others write books claiming that the aliens hail from Orion, the Pleiades or some other origin – again, that may be true, but even if it were, it is not necessarily true of every other encounter. Such statements assume, wrongly, that the ‘answer’ applies to every other case.
We must view UFO’s on their own terms and not impose our own ideas and preconceptions onto the data. During the decades leading up to the 1970’s many researchers and groups refused to consider any UFO report that included sightings of beings associated with the craft – they were quite prepared to consider UFO’s as interplanetary craft but not that they might be piloted – a special type of logic which always escaped me. Since about 1973 onwards however, reports of humanoids have become so numerous and impossible to ignore that almost everyone accepts it as part of what is happening. But sadly, we still have researchers and organisations today who find it hard to accept other aspects of UFO activity, the idea of contactees being but one example.
Until recently there has been too little co-operation between groups and researchers, too little sharing of data and ideas. The flow of information is now being aided enormously by the Internet, but there have also been some encouraging signs of co-operation recently between groups, such as the CFM Coalition (1) for research purposes between three of the largest groups in the US. On the Australian scene I applaud the efforts of Dianne Allen from Victoria in recently compiling a national register of all groups and researchers in the country – an idea the deserves to replicated elsewhere (2).
Lastly, in the past five years all of us have seen the focus of UFOlogy swing firmly toward almost a total preoccupation with ’abductions’ and to one particular type of reported being, the much denigrated “Greys”. In the process we are educating the general public to accept that aliens are, by definition, usually small beings with large dark eyes who can kidnap us from within our own homes. Abductions undoubtedly represent a tremendous opportunity for ufologists to find some answers. I do not at all dispute that the whole abduction aspect deserves the most serious study and effort, but I feel great concern as I see other, perhaps less spectacular areas neglected and other types of reported beings relegated to the twilight zones of research.
The Counterfeit Aspect
The second major obstacle keeping us from the truth is what I term the ‘Counterfeit Aspect’. Put simply, the extra-terrestrial hypothesis alone is clearly not adequate in accounting for all reported aspects of the UFO phenomenon. I believe that there is also a counterfeit to the phenomenon of alien contact which has confused all of us at times and kept the truth at bay for many researchers. There is a source of UFO and alien activity from much closer to home which can duplicate most aspects of genuine alien activity, even including the appearance of ‘space-craft’.
The most incisive analysis of this aspect of UFO’s I believe has been done by Jacques Vallee, who has written prolifically on this aspect for some years. He concludes that the UFO phenomenon actually represents contact with beings from a multitude of other dimensions, from what he calls a ‘multiverse’ all around us here on earth. Such entities would be variously labelled as ‘angelic’ or ‘negative’ from New Age viewpoints, as ‘adversarial’ from a Gnositc perspective, and ‘demonic’ or ‘satanic’ from a tradition Christian point of view. Vallee traces very convincingly the activities of these beings down through history and the strategies that seem to be at work attempting to influence our cultures and religions through spectacular and well-known events such as what occurred at Lourdes, Fatima, and more recently in Bosnia and Mexico, and through an on-going, lesser recognised activity (3). A percentage of ‘UFO’ activity is not extra-terrestrial therefore, but should be more accurately considered as extra-dimensional in origin.
I share most of the concerns Vallee has expressed and agree with his contention that some sort of dimensional activity is involved. But here I part company with him because Dr Vallee, along with many others, seems to have fallen into the trap I mentioned earlier of invoking a single, simple explanation for something very complex. He takes the position that all UFO activity can be explained as extra-dimensional. The objectivity marking most of his work suddenly disappears when he attempts to justify his conclusion by making some very arbitrary statements. For example, he dismisses out of hand the possibility that aliens could possibly be, quote: “…human in shape. The would certainly not breath our air…”. He then refers to the many sightings of humanoid UFO pilots by stating that, quote “Whatever they are, the occupants of such craft are not genuine extra-terrestrials” (4).
These two examples illustrate perfectly the principle that seeking a Single Answer requires us to ignore and distort facts. The inability to recognise this duality within the reality has kept most researchers from grasping the complexity of the UFO/alien experience. Too much energy has been expended by too many people pursuing the fallacy of Single Answer and far too many trees have been wasted in the process.
To end on a positive note, UFOlogy has made some tremendous strides as dedicated researchers have followed both scientific methodology and have learnt to think beyond convention and dogma. We are all light years from where we started, but there is still some distance to go.
Historical Overview of the UFO / Alien Phenomenon
The evidence from historical records from many parts of the world make it clear that extra-terrestrials have visited earth periodically throughout our recorded history, although the full extent of this activity and the degree of interaction with humans remains open to debate. My own conclusions point to an intermittent but fairly substantial degree of alien activity on earth throughout history that has continued to the present. Over the centuries this activity has usually been interpreted and recorded in religious or cultural terms such as ‘gods’, ‘angels’, ‘elves’, ‘goblins’, ‘devils’ etc. and it is only in recent decades that much of this activity has begun to be recognised for what it is, ie. extra-terrestrial in origin.
The data suggests that visits to earth prior to this century were primarily by a group or groups that appear almost identical to Caucasian humans. These visits have been benign and seemingly for observation and monitoring of our cultures and generally without direct interference – although there are some very clear indications of what could best be termed ‘cultural assistance’ in Europe in the Medieval period (8). In places as diverse as Japan, the Americas, Africa, Australia and China, alien involvement has taken place over the centuries, sometimes becoming prominent aspects of indigenous culture. In many cases such activity continues today, often poorly recognised outside the society itself.
Alien activity in centuries past has taken place quite openly and over extended periods in some parts of the world. Whether we look at the legends of the Paiute Indians in California of a race from the sky who travelled in ‘silvery canoes with wings’, living for long periods in their midst, or the edicts of Emperor Charlemagne in France against the people who visited frequently in aerial ‘ships’, we see a consistent pattern of contact. Similar stories are preserved among most cultures in all parts of the world. In our own century, primitive tribes people in remote parts of Peru for example have reported aliens who visited them openly and lived among them for periods of time.
The evidence for alien visits to earth in the distant past is surprisingly strong. One of the best examples is the dozens of small skeletal remains with disproportionately large skulls, together with over 700 engraved circular stone discs uncovered in 1938 by archaeologists on the Chinese-Tibetan border. When finally deciphered in 1962, the artefacts told of the crash of a space craft from the Sirius system thousands of years ago, stranding the survivors who intermarried with the local people. Their descendants today are of unusual appearance and very small stature (9).
In more recent times, with the advent of World War 2 and the advances in aviation, space and nuclear technology that resulted, sightings of UFO’s increased dramatically world-wide from the late 1940’s onward and incidental observations of presumed alien occupants – uncommon until this point – began to be made. The level of UFO activity worldwide has continued to increase overall since then.
The Alien Agenda
The picture of alien activity on earth as I believe is indicated by the data is an enormously complex one, but can be simplified under the following categories:
1) The monitoring of all aspects of earth society. This includes the surveillance of our energy sources, weapons capability and the long-term monitoring of selected individuals and families throughout their life-spans.
2) Exploration and monitoring of the physical planet in all its aspects.
3) Intentional displays of UFO activity and direct contact with randomly selected individuals as part of a gradual program of disclosure.
4) Discrete and limited social and technological assistance to individuals, groups and governments.
5) Compassionate assistance to a developing culture is known of in at least one instance of which I am aware.
6) The mining of rare-earth minerals and metals. The removal of large quantities of fresh water is also well attested.
7) The monitoring of other alien groups and their activity on earth seems apparent from some recent cases.
8) Possible genetic monitoring and experimentation by involuntary methods, ie. ‘abductions’ as they are popularly known. With a handful of possible exceptions, these cases seem to have commenced in the late 1950’s, but numbers remained low (or unreported) until the 1970’s. While some of these events undoubtedly occur only on a psychic/spiritual level, there can be no doubt that the physical abduction of people does take place and much evidence that psychological tampering hides the event from the conscious recall of the abductee or experiencer. Despite the current proliferation of theories I see little firm evidence disclosing the ultimate purposes of such activities. I strongly suspect that like the UFO phenomenon itself, actual ‘abductions’ will ultimately prove to have multiple origins – a small number resulting from covert military experiments, many will prove to have a psychic or dimensional stimulus and the remainder will prove to be extra-terrestrial in origin.
9) Lastly we have the claimed technique of alien contact by telepathic means known as ‘channelling’. Channelling, which is just a space-age name for an old-fashioned seance, is the last resort of kooks and is clearly open to manipulation and fraud. There are one or two instances where the calibre of the channelled information is such that I remain cautiously open to the possibility that some sort of authentic alien source might be involved, but generally speaking it is clear to me that the majority of such activity comes from the counterfeit dimensional source. I am yet to be persuaded that anything of value has been or is being communicated to us by this method (11).
Camouflaging the Activity
One of the most easily verifiable facts from the past fifty years is that the majority of UFO activity occurs in rural areas and most often in the early hours of the morning (12). This leads us to the inevitable conclusion that UFO activity is generally not intended to be observed and that much – perhaps most – UFO activity actually remains unobserved, and hence unreported. The alien intent has generally been to confuse us wherever possible.
It seems probable that much alien activity originates in bases on earth and on our moon, and thus many UFO craft we observe may be short range reconnaissance craft rather than the interstellar vessels many assume them to be. I believe that underwater travel via the oceans and seas has long been used extensively to avoid detection, as well as natural and artificially generated cloud and mist cover.
Small, remote controlled craft a few feet across – first reported in WW2 by both Allied and German pilots – continued to be reported from time to time, often during aircraft and missile testing, and appear to facilitate remote viewing of desired targets.
Beginning with the ‘airship’ sightings in the late 1890’s, there is now some strong evidence that alien craft are sometimes disguised as familiar man-made craft, more recently as fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters, probably for operation in areas where they are more likely to bee seen or to further disguise the nature of the activity.
The appearance of anomalous creatures (usually a ‘Big Foot’ type creature but smaller robotics-type beings have also been reported) appearing in association with some landed UFO craft cannot be doubted and appears to be for the purpose of controlling the immediate environment and keeping witnesses away. Some physical evidence of these creature, including hair samples (13) has been analysed without being identified as a known species.
Despite the likelihood of short-term disruptions to our society, genuine alien contact will, I believe, ultimately prove to be a positive and should lead to a general recognition of the spiritual dimensions underlying all world faiths, and our origin in, and connection to and destiny with Deity. Everything I have learned these past twenty years or more as a UFO researcher bears an eloquent and powerful witness that we live in a vast, beautiful universe of great diversity, populated by billions of intelligent beings – many of whom look like us – and some of whom have already begun making contact.
The immanent dawning of an age in which we openly and officially take our place as new members of the galactic community provides all of us with a first exciting glimpse into the eternal realms about which so little is known. Perhaps our ultimate destiny as a race is to return to the stars from whence all life came. But for now, our view of the future must broaden to encompass these other dimensions and other worlds, the civilisations that inhabit them and the opportunities that this contact represents.
About the Author
Warren Aston’s interests include travel (he runs his own travel business in Brisbane), photography, music, theology, feminism and quantum-physics. Author of a 1994 anthropological and historical book based upon nine years of fieldwork in the Middle East, he has lectured at Cambridge University in the U.K., as well as the US, New Zealand and Australia. For the past three years he has conducted field research on a 1940 landing and contact case in Montana which he believes will prove to be one of the most significant ever recorded. Derails of this case will be released in 1997 along with new data he has uncovered concerning the beginnings of MJ-12, and a possible link with alien technology. Warren has been an independent UFO research for more than 20 years and is a member of MUFON and UFO Research Queensland.
1. The CFM coalition is a co-operative agreement for research funding purposes of C.U.F.O.S., the Fund for UFO Research and M.U.F.O.N.
2. Diane Allen, AUSTRALIAN UFO LINK-UP REGISTER, June 1996 PO Box 1309, Vesper Drive, Narre Warren, Victoria, 3805.
3. Jacques Vallee, DIMENSIONS, Ballantine, NY, 1993, 252 -254. The entire book deserves attention, but especially chapter 7.
4. Ibid, 233-234. Also see Jacques Vallee, REVELATIONS, Ballantine, NY, 1991, 270-271.
5. Robert Durant’s article, The Brookings Report, in the MUFON JOURNAL, June 1995, extracts the significant portions of the report.
6. MD Papagiannis, Quarterly Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society (Qtly JI R Ast), No 25, 1994, 309 – 318.
7. James Deardoff, POSSIBLE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL STRATEGY FOR EARTH, Qtly JI R Ast, No 27, 1986, summarises the issues and has a useful bibliography.
8. Salvador Freixedo, LA GRANJA HUMANA, Plaza and Janes Editores, Barcelona, 1989, offers one of the more interesting examples of covert alien activity; in this case found in the historical records of 16th centry Spain. The case is translated and summarised by George C Andrews in his EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL FRIENDS AND FOES, IllumiNet Press, Lilburn, Georgia, 1993, pp82-84.
9. Filip Coppens, The Strange Stone Discs of Baian-Kara-Ula, in NEXUS< December 1995/January 1996. 10. ‘Unusual Personal Experiences: An Analysis of the Data from Three National Surveys’, Bigelow Holding Company, Nevada 1992. 11. Jay Kinney, Wars in Heaven, GNOSIS 38, reprinted in NEW DAWN, May-June 1996 is an excellent summary of UFO-related channelling. 12. Jacques Vallee, REVELATIONS, 266-269. 13. Timothy Good, ALIEN LIAISON, Arrow, London 1991, 48. 14. Stanton Friedman, TOP SECRET MAJIC, Marlow, NY 1996, focuses on the evidence for MJ-12 and the continuing cover-up of the Roswell Case, and Timothy Good, BEYOND TOP SECRET, Sidgwick and Jackson, London 1996, is global roundup of facts documenting the cover-up of UFO data. 15. Jacques Vallee, REVELATIONS, Chapter 5, covers the 1979 Franck Fontaine ‘abduction’ in France. 16. The NASA video sequence transmitted from he shuttle Discovery while in orbit 15 September 1991, (showing several spacecraft performing complex manoeuvres and then accelerating into deep space in apparent response to two beams of ‘energy’ fired from the earth) is currently the most convincing evidence I know of which demonstrates that such weapons are currently either being tested or are fully operational at Australian sites. The source of the ‘beams’ appears to be US bases at Exmouth Bay in Western Australia and Pine Gap in the Northern Territory. For an analysis of the video, see Dr John Kasher’s article in the 1994 M.U.F.O.N. SYMPOSIUM PROCEEDINGS. Timothy Good, ALIEN LIAISON, 95-99, offers other evidence suggestive of Australian involvement with US intelligence operations.